Posts Tagged ‘ Australia ’

Ricky Ponting to retire after Perth Test

One of Australia’s greatest ever batsmen, Ricky Ponting, will retire after the Perth Test against South Africa. The 37-year-old officially announced this afternoon that he will step aside following his 168th Test, at the WACA starting tomorrow.

The Tasmanian has compiled an astonishing record, scoring 13,366 Test runs at an average of 52.21. But he felt his performances weren’t good enough to earn a spot in the team.

A glorious career will come to an end. Reuters“This is a decision not made by the selectors, it was made by me,” Cricket Australia tweeted Ponting as saying. “I haven’t been performing consistently over the last 12-18 months. I believe now is the right time to be making this decision.

“I’ve given cricket my all.”

However, Ponting felt his inability to shine at the big moments helped him make up his mind.

“Thing that struck home was even though my preparation and feeling was good I was falling at the big moments. Based on performances on this series. Not good enough output for an Australian batsman,” said Ponting.

Ponting was dropped from the one-day team but has remained in the Test side as a specialist batsman with disappointing results. It will be his 168th Test for Australia, equalling Steve Waugh’s record as most Tests played by an Australian.

CA Chief Executive Officer James Sutherland said he and Ricky had exchanges messages earlier today after Ponting had made his decision overnight.

“Ricky has had an extra-ordinary career and has made an extra-ordinary contribution, including through the example he has set for other elite players and through the excitement he has given fans, young and old,” Mr Sutherland said.

“There is much to admire, including his pride in his roots at his local cricket club that he spoke so eloquently of at last month’s Bradman Oration, through to the fact that he takes to the field tomorrow for his 168th Test as one of the best prepared players in the modern game”.

“I think his record until he retired as captain was outstanding but my respect for him since then has actually increased, seeing first-hand how he stepped back to become a total team player, absolutely committed to his captain, unstinting in his work to help other players and single-minded in his view that everything, including his own ambition, must always be second place after whatever was best for the team”.

Advertisements

Apple Lists 8 Samsung Products It Wants Banned From US, Including Galaxy S 4G Smartphone

Apple gives judge Samsung ban list

SAN FRANCISCO  — Apple Inc. on Monday gave a federal judge a list of eight Samsung Electronics Co. products it wants pulled from shelves and banned from the U.S. market.

U.S. District Judge Lucy Koh asked for the list after a jury in San Jose last week slammed Samsung with a $1.05 billion verdict, finding that the South Korean technology giant had “willfully” copied Apple’s iPhone and iPad in creating and marketing the products. Samsung plans an appeal.

The products Apple wants banished from the United States are all smartphones: Galaxy S 4G, Galaxy S2 AT&T, Galaxy S2, Galaxy S2 T-Mobile, Galaxy S2 Epic 4G, Galaxy S Showcase, Droid Charge and Galaxy Prevail.

Koh on June 26 banned the Galaxy Tab 10.1 from the U.S. market after finding it likely violated a “design patent.” Samsung is now asking for that ban to be lifted after the jury found the computer tablet didn’t infringe that particular patent, but it did find it infringed three Apple’s software patents that cover the popular “bounce-back” and pinch-to-zoom features.

The judge has scheduled a Sept. 20 hearing to discuss Apple’s demands for the sales bans. She asked Apple on Friday to submit the list of products its wants removed from U.S. stores after Samsung complained it doesn’t have enough time to prepare for the scheduled hearing.

The judge is deciding whether to reschedule the hearing to give Samsung more time to prepare. The South Korean company plans to ask the judge to toss out the jury’s verdict as unsupported by the evidence. Failing that, the company says it will appeal the verdict to higher courts, including the U.S. Supreme Court.

In addition to the sales bans, Apple also plans to ask the judge to triple the damages to $3.15 billion because of the jury’s finding that Samsung “willfully” copied Apple.

Apple filed its lawsuit in April of last year alleging that 28 Samsung smartphones and computer tablets had “slavishly copied” the iPhones and iPads. Samsung countered with its own claims that Apple used its wireless technology without proper compensation.

A nine-person jury in its verdict Friday unanimously agreed with Apple. Most of the damages were tied to Samsung’s smartphones. It rejected Samsung’s counterclaims.

Most of the Samsung products found to have “infringed’ Apple’s patent were older devices no longer being sold. The list Apple presented to the court on Monday represent devices it believes are still being sold in U.S. stores, including several versions of the company’s popular S2 phones introduced last year. Samsung’s newest and hottest selling smartphone, the Galaxy S3, was not part of the lawsuit and is unaffected by the jury’s verdict.

The award represents about 1.5 percent of Samsung’s annual revenue. Analysts said the embarrassment of the verdict is a bigger blow for Samsung than the financial setback.

Still, the question remains whether Samsung and other Apple competitors will have to redesign their smartphones to avoid infringing Apple’s patents. Most analysts agree the verdict sends a threatening message to device makers like Samsung who use Google’s Android operating system.

Apple lists 8 Samsung products it wants banned from US

Screen_shot_2012-08-27_at_11

INDIA WINS THE U19 WORLD CUP

Chand ton gives India Under-19 World Cup

U-19 WC-5 DataDiary

U-19 WC-4 DataDiary

U-19 WC-3 DataDiary

U-19 WC-2 DataDiary

U-19 WC-1 DataDiary

Unmukt Chand led from the front with a magnificent hundred as India Under-19 lifted their third World Cup title after beating formidable defending champions Australia by six wickets in the final today.

This was India U-19s first triumph after Mohammed Kaif and Virat Kohli led their respective teams to victory in 2000 and 2008 editions respectively.

Courtesy a magnificent unbeaten 111 by Unmukt and his unbroken partnership of 130 runs with glovesman Smit Patel, India overhauled a competitive target of 226 on a bouncy strip with 14 balls to spare.

It was one of the best centuries one could have witnessed at the junior level as Unmukt hit seven fours and as many as six sixes during his 130-ball knock.

He completed his century with a six over extra cover off Alex Gregory but the celebrations were very muted. The skipper knew that the job was only half done.

Once Smit, who hit an effective 62, slog-swept off-spinner Ashton Turner towards deep mid-wicket for a four a number of Indian supporters rushed to the ground along to celebrate with the team.

Though four wickets were lost in the chase, it never looked like an uphill task for the Indians, who were subdued in the middle overs but accelerated towards the end to get to the target with ease.

After Prashant Chopra was out chasing a delivery down leg side of Mark Steketee without troubling the scorers, Unmukt and in-form batsman Baba Aparajith (33) took the attack to the opposition.

The duo added 73 runs for the second wicket playing the Aussie pace trio of Steketee, Joel Paris and Gurinder Sandhu with ease.

Pujara’s maiden ton lifts India to 307/5

 

India vs New Zealand Live Score: Hyderabad Test, Day 1

Cheteshwar Pujara dominated the Indian batting with an unbeaten 119 as they finished at 307/5 on Day 1 of the first Test against New Zealand at Rajiv Gandhi International Stadium in Hyderabad on Thursday.

Pujara shared an unbeaten 47-run stand with skipper MS Dhoni (29*) to survive the last half an hour of the day after Kiwis took the new ball.

Pujara notched up his maiden Test hundred to lead Indian first innings. Pujara, who played his last Test in January 2011, made a remarkablecomeback to Test cricket. Pujara smacked 14 boundaries and a six in his century knock that came in 169 balls.

India suffered another blow in quick succession after losing Virat Kohli when Kiwi spinner Jeetan Patel struck to dismiss Suresh Raina and reduced India to 260/5.

Pujara held the one end after being promoted to number three and added 125 runs with Virat Kohli for the fourth wicket to frustrate the visitors.

Chris Martin broke the crucial century stand by dismissing Kohli to give New Zealand much needed breakthrough soon after the tea.

Kohli complimented his partner by scoring a half-century to consolidate India against the Kiwis. He reached his fourth Test fifty in 79 balls, smashing seven boundaries.

India were 182/3 at tea with Pujara and Kohli going well. Pujara hit a patient half-century to steady the Indian first innings.

Pujara’s second Test fifty came after Trent Boult clean bowled Sachin Tendulkar with a superbdelivery.

The delivery came in sharply and stayed a little low to sneak through the gap between bat and pad to uproot the middle stump.

India went to lunch at 97/2 with Pujara and Tendulkar at the crease on 12.

Doug Bracewell gave New Zealand the second breakthrough when he had Virender Sehwag caught by Martin Guptill at second slip.

Sehwag hit 9 fours in his 41-ball 47 before falling to Bracewell.

India lost their first wicket when Trent Boult induced an edge off Gautam Gambhir’s bat.

Gambhir (22) tried to play the ball down to third man without moving his feet and ended up giving a simple catch to keeper Kruger van Wyk.

Earlier, Indian captain MS Dhoni won the toss and chose to bat.